Here are some fire sprinkler saves that have taken place in Minnesota.

Remember there have been saves in the past but we have just started to post them on the FMAM as of May 2011.



These are fires where sprinklers either extinguished or held the fire in check until the fire department arrived. The 20 cities experiencing the most sprinkler saves for the past 15 years (2004-2018) are:

  • Minneapolis: 164
  • St. Paul: 95
  • Bloomington: 52
  • Duluth: 44
  • Plymouth: 38
  • Burnsville: 37
  • Rochester: 34
  • St. Cloud: 31
  • Eden Prairie: 27
  • Blaine: 24
  • Edina: 22
  • Coon Rapids: 20
  • Eagan: 20
  • Maple Grove: 20
  • Roseville: 20
  • Shakopee: 18
  • Brooklyn Park: 17
  • Mankato: 15
  • Fridley: 13
  • Minnetonka: 13


Many of the communities listed above have been very proactive in supporting the installation of fire sprinkler protection in buildings. These efforts are paying off and have saved millions of dollars in lost property and exposed fewer people and responding firefighters to the dangers of fire.


There are no download items matching this category criteria.

Blaine 3/2014

Sprinkler save we had just Sunday morning. Box of combustibles to close to the water heater. Occupant discovered the fire and then pulled the box away from the water heater and it flared up at which point the sprinkler head in the hall activated and extinguished the fire.

Woodbury, 8/2/2013

August 2nd, 2013: There was a fire in the kitchen apartment on 1st floor at the Classic at the Preserve apartments. Evidently it was started by cooking oil on the stovetop. One sidewall residential sprinkler put out the fire

Alexandria, 07/29/2013


Deephaven 7/28/2013

July 28th, 2013: There was a fire in the kitchen of a townhome out at Deephaven Cove Townhomes. Evidently a wood cutting board had been left on a gas burner on a stovetop with the burner on slightly. One residential sprinkler put the fire out.

Edina, 7/25/2013

On 7/25/2013, Edina Fire Department received notification of a fire at 7200 block of York Avenue South. Prior to the Fire Department arrival a single sprinkler head suppressed a fire in the incipient stage in a closet. There was minimal smoke, water and fire damage as a result of the fast response of the fire sprinkler system.

Burnsville, 7/6/2013

On 7/6/13, Nicollet Ridge Apartments, 101 McAndrews Rd W, Burnsville had a fire. Cause of the fire was due to improper disposal of fireworks debris. Kids were setting off what appeared to be legal fireworks without adult supervision.

Alexandria, 06/11/2013


Rochester, 3/18/2013

Rochester firefighters face pythons at apartment fire.

Firefighters responding to an apartment fire alarm got a little more than they bargained for Monday afternoon — in the form of snakes.

Red Wing, 3/9/2013

Red Wing Firefighter/Paramedics Respond to Fire at Red Wing Library

( Red Wing, Minn.) – On March 9th at 1500 hr, the Red Wing Fire Department received a call reporting a fire alarm at 225 East Ave.

Firefighter/paramedics were on scene within 3 minutes of receiving the call and discovered that a fire had occurred in a bathroom.

Chanhassen 2/22/2013

Chanhassen FD responded to a water flow alarm on Friday February 22, 2013 at 11:53 am.

Upon arrival Chanhassen FD was met by an employee at the front door. She said there was a fire in the production area. As we got closer to the origin, moderate smoke was visible.

Eagan, 2/13/2013 and 2/18/2013

Eagan Fire Department:

  1. 2‐3‐2013 Commercial Warehouse 1 head fused Controlled fire
  2. 2‐18‐2013 Residential/Multi‐family 2 heads fused Extinguished Fire (kitchen)
Saint Cloud, 10/17/2012

A single sprinkler head activated on 10/17/2012 at 1:43 AM extinguished a fire in a mattress that had been left for several days in a second floor hallway of a 100 unit apartment building.

Coon Rapids, 10/10/2012

Coon Rapids FD responded to fire alarm at a townhouse. Crews arrived to find that the sprinkler system had put the fire out. Crews began ventilation and shutting off the sprinkler system.

Saint Cloud, 7/15/2012

The St. Cloud Fire Dept. responded to a water‐flow auto alarm at the Holiday Inn at 12:16 Hours Sunday 7/15/12. Upon arrival fire crews found water flowing from under the door to one of the second floor hotel suites and the room smoke alarm sounding.

Saint Cloud, 5/30/2012

On 05/30/2012 at 7:25 PM (that’s when the clock melted) a single sprinkler head operated and controlled a fire that occurred in a tinting process area at a local eyeglass lens wholesaler. The fire reached temperatures over 1200 degrees and only required mop up efforts by the fire department. The plant employs 48 people and was open for business the following morning.

Maple Grove, 5/9/2012 and 5/11/2012

5/9/12 Bollywood Bistro (formerly Kabob and Curry, and something before that) Around 6:30 pm, grilling chicken in kitchen, grease in the grill ignited. One sprinkler head activated and controlled the fire. An employee also used a fire extinguisher. The clean up from this fire was a little more extensive.

5/11/12 Biaggi’s, around 2:00 am. Cleaning contractors on site cleaning kitchen hood system. They “blew out” the pilot lights on the stoves and covered the stoves with plastic sheeting so the goo that came out of the hoods would flow to the floor for easier clean up. They blew out the pilots but did not shut off the gas. So gas accumulated under the plastic during the cleaning. When they were finished and removed the plastic, the gas ignited. The fire ball caused one sprinkler head to go off. The flash also caused minor injury to one of the cleaning employees. Biaggi’s was cleaned up and inspected by the health department and back in business for lunch today.

Saint Cloud, 4/29/2012

A dryer fire in the basement laundry room of a Group Home caused an estimated $12,000 in damage. A staff member discovered the fire and was able to get all the residents out safely. The sprinkler system activated and was able to control the fire until firefighters completed final extinguishment. Two residents were relocated to relative’s homes and the remaining two were provided temporary housing by Red Cross. There were no injuries.

St. Paul, 2012

St. Paul Fire Department:

  1. 03/28/2012 – High rise apartment – renter untentionally bump the knob on the stove
    and the combustible on stove caught fire
  2. 05/29/2012 – 8 unit apartment building – storage unit fire
  3. 07/13/2012 – 6 unit apartment building – cooking fire
  4. 07/14/2012 – 220 unit apartment building – cooking fire
  5. 08/09/2012 – 70 unit apartment building – cooking fire
Spring Lake Park / Blaine / Mounds View, 12/12/2011

On Monday night 12/12/11, at 7:09 pm SBM Fire responded to a fire at Interpol Laboratories located at 4500 Ball Road. The original call came in as a waterflow alarm. While enroute police on the scene reported that there was smoke in the building and it appeared that sprinklers had activated in the rear of the building. The call was then upgraded to an All Call – Structure Fire response.

St. Paul, 12/2/2011

St Paul Fire crews responded to a fire in a basement. Upon arrival crews found that the fire was extinguished by a sprinkler head located in the basement ceiling. The fan located in the basement ceiling overheated and shorting out dropping hot melted plastic on the floor igniting paper and cloths located on the floor. The fuse was in an off position when examined. The sprinkler was then automatically activated with the growth of the fire and then extinguished. Fire crews shut the water off and secured the area. No one was displaced and management was there to assist the homeowners.

Burnsville, 10/19/2011

Burnsville Fire Department responded to a general fire alarm at a multi‐family complex. Alarm was triggered by a fire to an artificial tree in the lobby. One sidewall sprinkler head, which was directly located above the tree at the 2nd floor ceiling level (atrium ceiling) activated.

Savage, 7/31/2011

Savage Fire Department responded for a Water Flow Alarm. Alarm was triggered by a fire in a Cabinet Shop. Sprinkler system kept the fire to a minimum, and there was some water and smoke damage to rest of the unit.

Savage, 4/28/2011

Sprinkler system credited with stopping townhome from burning down

Submitted by Nancy Huddleston on April 28, 2011 – 4:32pm.

A sprinkler system prevented a fire in a garbage can from spreading Thursday afternoon (April 28) in the Calumet Oaks townhome complex.

Coon Rapids, 4/14/2011 and 4/30/2011

Coon Rapids, MN – We have recently had two excellent examples of the effectiveness of fire sprinkler systems.

Chanhassen, 4/22/2011

At approximately 4:30 am on April 22, 2011 the Chanhassen Fire Department responded to a water flow alarm at 7635 Arboretum Village Circle. This address is for one townhome of an 8 plex building. Water was seen coming from beneath the garage door and light smoke coming from above the door.

Saint Cloud, 3/29/2011

St Cloud, MN – 100 Unit Apt Building Apt # 106 on 3/29/2011 @ 12:43 PM – Female fell asleep in the chair while smoking an FSC Pall Mall cigarette.

Lake Johanna, 2/22/2011

On 2/22/12 at 1820, the Lake Johanna Fire Department was dispatched to a water flow alarm at a commercial building. The crews arrived and found nothing showing from the outside. Upon gaining access to the building, they encountered a smell of smoke with a slight haze in the building. After further investigation, they discovered a sprinkler head flowing that had extinguished a fire in a paint booth that originated from a 55 gallon plastic trash can that was below the head.

Close Menu